To suspend the EPP domain effectively, please take the following steps in this order:Edit
1. Set the WWW address record unroutable. Edit
www address records can be used as a default name server to resolve the www.domain-name even after it is set to ClientHold. To avoid this problem:
Set the www address record to 188.8.131.52
2. Ensure that the domain does not resolve at the registry. Edit
If the domain is a .info domain, you must first change the DNS to your own that contain no records.
To then ensure the domain does not resolve, apply the status:
If you are not able to apply this status to the domain at the registry because technical reasons, please use your backoffice application to remove any DNS that serve the domain by replacing them with your own.
If the domain already uses your name servers, please ensure that the zone file contains no records.
3. Ensure that the domain's DNS cannot be changed back (necessary for .info domains).Edit
This may be accomplished by applying the following status:
If you are not able to apply a status to the name server's domain at the registry level because of technical reasons, please use your backoffice application to prevent your customer from modifying the domain's settings.
4. Prevent the domain from leaving to an abuse-friendly registrar.Edit
It is important to ensure that the domain can neither be deleted nor transferred. This may be accomplished by applying the following statuses
If you are not able to apply these statuses to the domain at the registry level because of technical reasons, please use your backoffice application to prevent your customer from transferring the domain or deleting it.
If you do not succeed in suspending the domain and preventing its deletion and transfer to another registrar, you will be seen as supporting the illicit organization behind the domain, and may be held liable for your complicit inaction.
5. Verify that your settings have taken effect. Edit
You will not be able to verify in your web browser, or via a "ping" command for several hours, whether or not the changes have fully propagated. Therefore, please check back the following day to ensure that the domain:
- does not resolve at the registry
- still has non-routable IP addresses for the name servers (if it is used as a name server)
- has not been modified from the settings you have applied